Often people who desire to adopt a child must wait in line for years before the opportunity becomes a reality. And the cost of private adoptions can frequently exceed $30k. A very attractive alternative to this option is the foster-to-adopt process. The advantages of this alternative include but are not limited to:
- The cost to the foster-to-adopt family is close to nil.
- The foster-to-adopt family is reimbursed for the expenses of care and treatment of the child(ren) in their care until the family is selected as the adoptive family for the child(ren).
- The foster-to-adopt child(ren) are rescued from neglect and abuse and are blessed to join a permanent nurturing family.
- Subsidies are often available for ongoing support for any possible medical or mental health issues.
The risks for the most part include:
- The possibility of family of origin, kin, or fictive kin becoming available to parent the child(ren).
- Dealing with issues resulting from trauma the child(ren) suffered prior to placement in foster care.
Texas Foster Care and Adoption Services is qualified to provide verification (licensing requirements) supervision, training, and support for foster-to-adopt parents at each stage of the process. Call us for more information or to answer questions.